Monday, February 14, 2011

V-day done

So I thought I'd share a story with you all. It's a sweet story. One of love & hope & promise. Maybe we'll finish it off as living happily ever after. Then again it is my story so probably not.

I wanted to share the story of my engagement night. Maybe it will set the bar a little higher for some of your expectations. Maybe not.

Oh, Valentine's. The best or worst of all possible holidays depending on your relationship status....and your attitude.

Now at this point I've done all the work. The planning & shopping & all that is done. I'm just gonna take you on my date that night. OK? You dressed & ready? Great! Let's go.

It's Saturday. Feb. 12th. The year doesnt matter anymore. We're going to our favorite little Italian joint. It's got a chef that trained under Mario Batali & they know us by name. But tonight is special. As we walk into the back dining room, off to one side, is a table with a vase with two dozen roses. Red & white. Theyre for you. Uh...her but you're following along.

Every head in the place turns to watch who's being treated so royally. And she is beaming. Some are surely wondering who the slave boy is with her. That'd be me. But I have secrets in store & I can see the love in her eyes. Let's have a drink. Bottle of wine or something different? I already knew the answer. They had popped the cork when I walked in. Along with the wine comes a gift. Nothing too crazy. We have a long night ahead. We'll order an appetizer. I already did that. The menu is set but she does have 3 choices for an entree so I wasnt a dick about it.

The appetizer comes. And with it, another gift. "More song! More wine!" We order an entree & she almost cant contain her excitement. What's next? Another gift? Of course. And then dessert. I'd share the gifts but use your imagination here. I had lots of stuff. Gift bags. Big boxes. Little boxes. Pretty things. Silky things. Little shiny things. We know how you like those.

I was in love. What can I say. Its who I am. It's who I aspire to be. But by the end of the meal most of the men in the room had just been schooled & they werent real happy with me. The women on the other hand were gushing. And I liked the attention. So did she.

So dessert comes. It was on fire. Good stuff. And another gift. Now I already told you this was an engagement date. The night I popped the question. So what do you think the dessert gift was?  Bzzzzzz. Nope. Wrong answer. We finished our meal & paid the check. Love is expensive. But worth every penny.


So on the way out, helping her with her coat, I ask if she just wants to go home or maybe an after dinner drink somewhere. She chose the latter. Good girl. Off we drive. No I'm not telling you where. You'll just have to wait. Downtown we go. And end up at the sundial. Thats the rotating lounge on top of the Westin. a.k.a. Peachtree Plaza.

We settle, have a few drinks. And a couple more. I gotta get rid of this lump in my throat. I'm about to take a giant step here. The place is crowded. So much so that a young couple has joined us. Seating was limited. But its a lounge so have a seat. Watch & learn young man.


I stand. She looks at me. I act is if I'm excusing myself and she lets me pass. But it's only to get more room. Any of you that know me know that I have a voice that, to put gently, carries. I start by saying that I'm having a great time. And that I love you. She blushes. I have no problem in the spotlight. She doesnt like to draw attention. Not to mention she knows that given the chance I'll embarass us both. But not this time.

I express how nice the place is & that I'm afraid of heights. But this is also the closest I may ever come to standing on top of the world & exclaiming my love for you. She reaches up to grab my hand & pull me down. So not to embarass her & as she does I drop all the way to one knee. Flip out the ring I've been playing with in my pocket for most of the evening & say. I love you. I never want to spend another day with anyone else. Will you marry me?


I found out later that I did, in fact, take her totally by surprise. She, like maybe you< thought it would come with all the other gifts at dinner if it was going to happen at all. Hey, I thought of that. I got this covered.

She did say yes. The crowd erupts with applause & congratulations. But not one person there bought us a drink or came by to shake a hand or see the ring. Just a little note. If you witness such an act. Show some class. By them a drink. Shake the man's hand. Tell the woman she looks beautiful & congrtulate her. What happened to old school values? Eh, whatever.


We stayed until closing. I dont know that I've ever seen a woman so happy with me. I dont know that I've ever been so happy or proud of myself. It was truly glorious.


We've since parted. Never fulfilling the promise. It's alot of why I am who I am today. But that night. That brief moment will stay with me til the day I leave this earth. And maybe it will stay with her & with you too.

We don't know what will happen. Tomorrow is not promised. But to seize the day, on that day will stay on the trophy case of my mind forever. Not to mention that may have been the best elevator ride down in the history of mankind. But that kids is another story.

Love generously. Give wholly. Share what you have & drink deep the times that are special to you. They may only come once in a lifetime. And you owe it to yourself to allow yourself to feel that deeply. I do love to be in love.

I hope you get a better picture of me in comparison to some of the other things written here. And I'm again proud. Proud that I put this down in print. Proud of the man that I am. And proud that I can still look back on this & know if I knew what was going to happen, I would do it all again.

 What can I say. I was in love. I hope I get to do it all over again someday. She may have left. But my love is mine. I get to share it in the grandest or simplest of ways. She took alot when she went away but she could never take that away from me.

My love to you.  Happy Valentine's day. 
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Greg,,this is such a beautiful story,,,from what I know you are a great man & one day the right lady will come along for you.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tear* Beautiful, romantic, well written... it's a great love story, my dear! There have been a lot of things in my life that didn't turn out like the movie version would have... but everything in my life has served to make me who I am today. I prayed for you this morning... just like every morning... and i trust that the creator has more stories left for you to write. *hugs*
    heather

    ReplyDelete