Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 11 Today was a good day

So its the long weekend and my how things have changed. Its Sunday afternoon and the football game is on.I should be farther ahead on my house cleaning & laundry but I'm just not. Try as I might I will never be described as a domestic goddess.


So let me tell you about my weekend. Friday I took a co-worker to the airport. Sat in traffic with someone that I really didnt know for about 1 1/2 hrs. Not bad but I would have rathered taken care of other things. So I'm a little behind. Saturday I had things that should have been done but after a decnt nights rest And the thermometer on the way up I took off toward a friends on the bike. Yeah I had to bundle up & the roads still had small patches of ice pack but it was worth it.

See I've been talking to a girl. Kinda has me all'o flutter. Somes aspects are a little scary & maybe not right on the bullseye but that's ok. I like the feeling. I think I'll enjoy it awhile.


So I went out on the bike. My communing with nature time. The bright radiant sun opposed by the chill of 45 degree  ambient temps at speed touching any exposed skin or light layers. The ole' girl likes the chill though. You can tell by the crack of the pipes & the feeling of her pulling against the reins a bit. She wants to run & so I twist my hand til the tears come from the wind getting in.. Long stretch of sunlit pavement. No oncoming traffic. No roads leading in as far as I can see. I'm at 100 before you get to 50 in that cage. Damn its cold now. But what a rush. I click thru 4th into 5th & kick back awhile. Hi God! How am I doin'? I'm trying. Best I can. What would you have me do?

Silence except for Bleu. That bitch is a screamer. Losing my tail pipe awhile back doesnt keep her any quieter. Just enjoying my place in this day & what He will allow me to see & be apart of.I think of Ice Cube. "Today was a good day."


On my way home I'm in the most treacherous part of the road. Way icy. Narrow ruts to ride thru. I had marked it in my head on the way out but it's on me again. I brake & the car in front of me swerves. And then I see it. Can I get stopped in time? Van behind me. Too close behind. Easy on the front binders. Then down thru 4th, 3rd, clutch, 2nd, On the fronts & rears. Easy on the ice. Clutch release. Pull it in one more time & slide toward the right of the lane. Van goes by. And there sits a well groomed black female shih tzu. I pull of onto the side road. Step off the bike & cll the dog. She comes to me. She is lost. You can tell. Wearing a collar with no tag & dragging a leash. I walk with her til she starts to head home & then its back to the bike. I cant leave it where its sitting, running. AS I throw a leg across I catch a blur. She's back out on the main road. I'm not sure how I got ther but I got between the car & the dog. All of us live to tell the tale. Whew. I couldn't let her die. And she was going to if I didnt intervene. I found the dogs owner & not a second too soon or she was coming home with me. I saved a life. Yeah ok so it was a dog but still. God was there. He made it happen. He gave me the choice to make. I chose the right path. And thats the part that feels so good.. Hate to see a lady in distress. Sorry to kiss & run. " Yeah, Today was a good day."



Now I 've got lots more to tell but I wanted to share that one on its own. But there is one thing I want you to remember. Y'know that big burly guy in the leather you shy away from. That guy with the loud pipes Drowning out your already too loud radio. That scruffy looking dude that you judge at the traffic light. Well today that guy just saved your dog's life. Would you have stopped in your car. Would you have walked the subdivision for a few minutes because the visual in your head was a crying little girl that just lost her puppy. Or would you have just missed her & kept on driving like so many around me did? I choose different things. I am different from you. Not better. Not worse. Don't judge my leather. Read the pins of the charities I helped worn with pride. Don't honk at me to get out of your way. Show me the respect I show you that you never even acknowledge. I rode my bike today. I became one with my surroundings. Pulse matching the V-twin roar. I did a good thing. I saved a life & re-connected family members.


Promise me this. When you see my dog in the street stop please. Either one of them may lead you to me. I may be in need of help. But the closeness you will feel toward your Higher power for doing what was jsut the right thing is the most powerful feeling you may ever have. Yep. Today was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Whatever you have done for the least of these... you show your true heart, tough guy, by your kindness to God's creatures. You ain't foolin' me with the leather... I know there's lace around your heart.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete