Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 8 What happened to common sense & logic

I awoke early this morning. Refreshed but up way too early. While watching the morning news I saw a story about GA's civil rights leaders upset because a couple of counties have decided to use MLK Jr. day as a snow make up day.Upset may be too light a term.



Surely we can do better. Surely we have bigger issues to tackle. Has the snow affected our brains that much? My first & immediate thought was what would MLK want us to do? My belief is upon seeing the condition of his home state he would want the children educated. It's just another day.


 And what better way to honor the man then to come together as a group. Maybe a short pep rally or an extended homeroom to honor the man would curtail the vigor in which these civil rights leaders protest. Which is better for civil rights? To spend the day at home playing Xbox or to be educated. When the question is poised that way the answer seems easy.

What I havent seen at all this week is theses same civil rights leaders protesting the conditions of our roadways or the fact that the bus lines aren't running. And we all know who predominantly rides public transit now don't we. But, not a peep on that issue.


The direction of our values seem to be iced over. What's really important seems to be melting away. I recall an old saying which says to pick your battles. On the surface this could seem as if these leaders are fighting to preserve our current way of life & honor tradition. But when our way of life is worse than our parents & some of those traditions are to blame shouldn't we re-evaluate? See, I don't judge a man by the color of his skin but by the content of his character. And these characters should take some time to think what is best for the youth of today. The leaders of tomorrow. The first step is indeed a quality education. And we can make a difference with every day. Or we could take the day off & bitch about the banks being closed. What do you want for your children?

1 comment:

  1. I mean... I'm a daughter of the american revolution and I don't get George Washington's birthday off. I'm a descendent of the Roosevelts and I work on their birthdays. My childrens' grandfather died in Vietnam and they will go to work and school on his birthday... My daddy is a great man and I work on his birthday. Not to minimize the motivation that MLK brought forth to the Civil Rights movement... I am glad for how our world has evolved. But... he was a wise man who valued education. He would have wanted those babies in school, in my (never) humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete